Obtaining a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate   

Obtaining a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate     


If you were not born in Ogle County, please contact either the county of your birth, or contact the Illinois Department of Vital Records at 217-782-6553.

  • Under Illinois State Law (410 ILCS 535/24(1) - Vital Records Act) only specific individuals have legal access to birth, death, or marriage/civil union licenses. The Ogle County Clerk’s Office will issue certificates to authorized individuals only. Vital records are not considered public information, neither are they subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
  • FOIA - Under Section 7 (1)(a) of FOIA, these records are exempted as "information specifically prohibited from disclosure by federal or state law or rules and regulations implementing federal or state law." See 5 ILCS 140/7(1)(a). The Vital Records Act states, "it is unlawful for any custodian to permit inspection of, or to disclose information contained in, vital records, or to copy or permit to be copied, all or any part of any such record except as authorized by this Act or regulations adopted pursuant hereto."

Genealogical Requests
Birth Record for Deceased Person
Apostille Certifying Documents for Foreign Use

Please Note:  Absolutely no information can be given over the telephone regarding vital records.

Certified Copy
To obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate, you must be one of the following:

  • A legal guardian with certified court documentation proving verification of guardianship.
  • A legal representative, for example an attorney acting on behalf of the person named on the birth certificate (must have authorized documentation).
  • An agent approved by the state registrar.
  • Please read the following for instructions on requesting guidelines and procedures:
    • An agent authorized by power of attorney that specifically states that the record can be obtained.
    • An agent having a notarized letter from any of the above authorizing your access to the record.
    • Of legal age (18 or an emancipated minor with certified court documentation) if requesting your own.
    • The mother or father (if listed on the certificate) of the child whose certificate is being requested.

         1 - In Person
         2 - By Mail
         3 - Online