- Under Illinois State Law (410 ILCS 535-Vital Records Act) only specific individuals have legal access to birth, death, or marriage/civil union licenses. The Ogle County Clerk’s Office will issue certificates to authorized individuals only. To do otherwise is a violation of Illinois Law. Vital Records are not considered public information, nor are they subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
- FOIA - Under Section (1)(a) of FOIA, these records are exempted as "information specifically prohibited from disclosure by federal or state law or rules and regulations implementing federal or state law." See 5 ILCS 140/7(1)(a). The Vital Records Act states, "it is unlawful for any custodian to permit inspection of, or to disclose information contained in, vital records, or to copy or permit to be copied, all or any part of any such record except as authorized by this Act or regulations adopted pursuant hereto."
Please note: Absolutely no information can be given over the telephone regarding Vital Records.
To obtain a certified copy of a Marriage/Civil Union License:
- Partners in a Marriage/Civil Union may obtain a certified copy of their License once the original has been filed with the County Clerk's office.
- Anyone outside of the couple, must have a valid reason for obtaining the certified copy of the Marriage/Civil Union License, on the couples behalf.
- $22 for first copy, $4 each additional copy within the same transaction of the same Marriage/Civil Union License.