Veterans Assistance Commission

The Veterans Assistance Commission of Ogle County is one of emergency and interim financial assistance with food, shelter & utilities for needy Veterans in Ogle County. We are not affiliated with Veterans Administration. This is a county funded program. VAC assistance is not designed to be an on-going financial supportive program over any considerable time span.  Applicants receiving financial aid from other governmental agencies whether county, state, federal or township programs are not eligible.

Financial assistance is provided “to Military Veterans who served in the Armed Forces of the United States and whose last discharge for the service was Honorable.” Widows and/or divorced spouses qualify for limited assistance only if there are minor children of the Veteran residing in the household. Widows without children are eligible for assistance in the case an extreme situation, at which time the VAC board will take under consideration.

The Illinois Department of Public Aid guidelines will determine financial eligibility.  The Veteran MUST provide proof of an Honorable Discharge (DD-214). No exceptions.

Reserve or National Guard duty is Non-Qualifying – Must be deployed during wartime.

Veteran must be a current resident of Ogle County for a minimum of 6 months.

All applicants must re-apply if last date of assistance has exceeded more than 6 months. All guidelines must be met at time of application, no exceptions. Assistance is limited to a 3 month term, at which time will be reviewed by the VAC Board should further assistance be requested. Fraud, misrepresentation of income/expenses/living arrangements and/or abuse of food & Hygiene voucher program are cause for immediate denial for assistance indefinitely with VAC of Ogle County.

Prior to receiving financial assistance, a food stamp appointment letter or proof of Public Aid Benefits must be obtained. All applicants MUST apply with governmental agencies FIRST before applying with VAC. Unless applicant is under doctor’s care applying for Social Security, SSI or VA NSC Pension, a current IDES job service card must be produced and an application for unemployment filed. If Veteran is currently employed, proof of income for the last month MUST accompany the application. VAC must continue to receive proof of employment search, or any documentation received as a result of a delay in application for Social Security, SSI or VA NSC Pension.

Transportation to and from a medical facility can be arranged for those that have no other means of getting there. Transportation arrangements must be made in advance and approved.