Civil Union

Obtaining a Civil Union License

Couples having a Civil Union in Ogle County must obtain a Civil Union License from the Ogle County Clerk’s office.

Timelines and Restrictions

Civil Union licenses are:

  • Effective only in Ogle County – The license must be purchased in the county the civil union will take place.

  • Issued while you wait

  • Effective the following calendar day after they are issued

  • Valid for 60 days


Under Illinois law, only eligible persons may obtain a Civil Union License. Both parties must:

  • Be 18 years of age or older

  • Not be an ancestor and a descendent or between siblings whether the relationship is by the half or the whole bloodor by adoption; an aunt or uncle and a niece or nephew, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood,or by adoption; or between first cousins

  • Not enter into civil union prior to dissolution of a marriage or civil union or substantially similar legal relationship

  • Individuals who reside out of the state may not apply for a Civil Union license in Illinois if such Civil Union would not be legal in their home state.


  • A marriage between persons of the same sex, a civil union, or a substantially similar legal relationship other than common law marriage, legally entered into in another jurisdiction, shall be recognized in Illinois as a civil union.


Couples must appear together at:

Ogle County Clerk
105 S 5th St.; Suite 104
Oregon, IL 61061
Monday thru Friday – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

They must:

  • Fill out and sign a Civil Union license application.

  • Present valid government issued photo identification with proof of age and

  • Certified Birth Certificate – raised seal must be present – no photocopies will be accepted

  • Pay a $40 fee

  • Applicants who have had a dissolution/divorce within the last six weeks must provide a certified copy of their dissolution/divorce decree upon applying for a civil union license.

Civil Union

  • Civil unions may be certified by either a person of the clergy or a judge

  • Witnesses are not required by Illinois law

  • Judges are available – contact for appointment:

    • 815-732-1161 for Judge Hanson
    • 815-732-1163 for Judge Lindsey
    • 815-732-1164 for Judge Redington
    • 815-732-1162 for Judge Roe

After the Civil Union Ceremony Occurs

  • The individual(s) performing the ceremony must complete the bottom portion of the license and mail or deliver it to the County Clerk within 10 days of the date the civil union is certified.
    Mail to:
    Ogle County Clerk

    105 S 5th St.; Suite 104
    Oregon, IL 61061

If for any reason you do not have a ceremony within the 60 day time period, it is your responsibility to return the license to the Clerk’s office to be filed.

  • Under no circumstances should a license be destroyed after it is issued.

Obtaining a Certified Copy

A certified copy of your marriage license may be obtained from the County Clerk’s Office. Include the bride and groom’s name and date of marriage. The fee is $22.00 for the first copy and $4.00 for each additional copy ordered at the same time.


Illinois State Bar Association – Family Law Newsletter regarding Civil Unions